PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER SUMMARY
The Part-Time Police Officer works for the Tupelo Regional Airport in a part-time, non-supervisory law enforcement capacity in various positions as designated by the Tupelo Airport Administration, specifically the Public Safety Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Part-Time Officer will perform several functions as needed:
- Provide physical security duties to Tupelo Airport by performing perimeter security, inspections, be present during all passenger screenings for airlines and special charters.
- Perform standard law enforcement functions while assigned to a shift.
- ARFF (Aircraft Rescue Fight Fighter) Training will be provided if not already certified.
- Must possess a law enforcement certificate as a full or part-time officer, certified by a state Board of Law Enforcement Standards and Training.
- Law enforcement experience with TPD or similar size police department or criminal investigative agency is preferred but not required.
- High School diploma or General Education Diploma.
PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER SUMMARY
The Part-Time Police Officer
- Shall be paid $ 16.45-$18 per hour. (Based on experience)
- Is eligible for benefits afforded full-time City of Tupelo employees .Will not work more than 20 hours a week and there is no guarantee for up to 20 hours.
- Will work as needed and shall be considered on-call for special events or filling in for a full-time Officer’s position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The Part-Time Police Officer will be expected to perform functions of a full-time officer, to include working in varying environments. While the stress level is lower than that of normal patrol duties, the Part-Time Police Officer may be required to conduct physical security checks in and around buildings which will include climbing at least one flight of stairs. Also, the physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by a full-time Police Officer to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, especially while working in a patrol capacity. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
THE PART-TIME POLICE OFFICER MAY BE REQUIRED, AT VARIABLE FREQUENCY TO:
- Demonstrate knowledge of and enforce municipal, state, and federal criminal laws, codes, and ordinances.
- Communicate clearly with responding patrol officers during a crisis situation. Speak clearly and calmly, especially in times of great stress.
- Communicate clearly with citizens, by both listening to information and disseminating accurate information.
- Be able to work with and take directions from VIPs within the Tupelo Regional Airport.
- Control resistive and aggressive/combative violator’s intent on harming officer or others.
- Lift, carry, or drag items and people of weights up to and exceeding 150 pounds without assistance.
- Visually identify people, places, or objects for purposes of rescue, arrest, or defensive tactics.
- Quickly and accurately adjust the focus of vision and peripheral vision, including varying degrees of depth perception.
- Operate a law enforcement vehicle precisely, while at the same time, operating a two-way radio, bar light, siren, and other emergency equipment.
- Bend or flex at the waist and knees to retrieve items on the ground or floorboard of vehicle.
- Grip and accurately strike a designated target with a police impact weapon using force sufficient for control.
- Grip, control, and fire a semiautomatic handgun; qualify with said weapon as required. Physically and accurately manipulate all functions of a semiautomatic handgun, including loading, unloading, and malfunction clearing. Physically control weapon, in and out of prescribed holster, for weapon retention defense against attack.
- Manipulate and control handcuffs when applying them to a detainee/arrestee as required through certification.
- Be certified in CPR and Rescue Breathing.
- Be ARFF certified.
- Wear latex protective gloves for protection against blood borne pathogens.
- Be exposed to chemical irritants and inflammatory agents, such as Oleoresin Capsicum and be certified to carry such.
- Write reports and related material in a legible coherent manner.
- Read and comprehend legal documents.
- Bend, squat, or lie down quickly to get behind items of protective cover and return to a standing position.
- Sit at one location for extended periods of time.